Friday, July 31, 2015
Events surrounding the disappearance and possible crash of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 are not yet clear. So following the curiosity here we present 10 mysterious disappearance of planes in world history happened before.
10. 20-year old Australian pilot Frederick Valentich was flying Cessna 182L light aircraft over Bass Strait in Australia on 21 October 1978. He advised Melbourne air traffic control he was being accompanied by an UFO above him. No trace of Valentich or his aircraft was ever found.
9. In 2003 a Boeing 727 vanished in the Angolan capital of Luanda. The plane was stolen from Quatro de Fevereiro Airport, Luanda, Angola on May 25, 2003. A massive worldwide search prompted by the FBI and CIA. The plane has not been heard from since.
8. Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 2501 was operating its daily transcontinental service between New York City and Seattle when it disappeared on the night of June 23, 1950 over Lake Michigan. A widespread search was commenced including using sonar and dragging the bottom of Lake Michigan with trawlers, but to no avail.
7. Sir Ian Mackintosh, a Scottish naval officer was flying a light aircraft along with two others in July 1979. He disappeared over the Gulf of Alaska sending out a distress signal which was picked up by the United States Coast Guard. The plane's last-known position was searched, but no wreckage of the plane was ever found and its passengers have not been heard from since.
6. On April 17, 1938, pilot Andrew Carnegie Whitfield prepared to make a quick 15-minute flight from New York to New Jersey. His plane vanished mid-flight. Then the mystery became bizarre. It was discovered that Whitfield had checked into a hotel on Long Island under a false name. He left all of his belongings behind at that hotel. There was no further contact, and the mystery remains unsolved.
5. Lieutenant Moncla and Wilson were ordered to fly out, when the radar station at Kinross AFB near Lake Superior noticed an unidentified blip in their airspace on November 23, 1953. The ground crew Kinross's radar operators watched Moncla and Wilson's blip approach the foreign object, merged with it into one single blip, and then vanish off the radar screen. An exhaustive search took place but nothing was ever found
4. On September 2, 1983, George Cogar, five others and the pilot were on board a plane headed from Vancouver Island to a hunting lodge in Smithers, Canada. The plane disappeared, presumably over British Columbia, Canada. No trace of the plane or its occupants was ever found. At the time, it was the largest coordinated search in Canadian history and cost nearly $1 million.
3. On 30th January 1948, a British South American Airways passenger aircraft 'Star Tiger' flight took off in strong winds with 25 passengers accompanied by a Lancastrian plane to keep a lookout for bad weather. The lookout plane arrived safely after their 12 hour journey but Star Tiger disappeared without a trace over the Atlantic Ocean remains unsolved to this day.
2. On December 5th, 1945, five U.S. Navy Avenger planes known as Flight 19 disappeared off the Florida coast during a training mission. A search aircraft sent to look for Flight 19 on the same day also disappeared. None of the plane has not been seen or heard from since.
1. Amelia Earhart, the American aviation pioneer disappeared near Howland Island in the central Pacific Ocean with her navigator, Fred Noonan with a Lockheed Electra plane while circumnavigating the globe on July 2nd 1937. Ever since it is a mystery.
source: FACT BITS
Thursday, July 30, 2015
Two people were killed when the small airplane they were in crashed while trying to land at a Milwaukee airport Wednesday, officials s... 12:10 PM
Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-die-after-small-plane-crashes-milwaukee-airport-n400811Two people were killed when the small airplane they were in crashed while trying to land at a Milwaukee airport Wednesday, officials said.First responders were called to the scene of the crash at Timmerman Airport at 7:11 p.m. They discovered two people dead inside the aircraft, Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Fran McLaughlin said.The identities of those killed in the crash were not released, pending family notification. It is unclear if anyone else was aboard the plane.Rob VanKammen, 35, a graphic designer who works near the airfield, said he he was walking to his car when he saw the small plane coming in very low before it disappeared out of his view and crashed."It was coming in at a 45-degree angle, sideways," VanKammen said. "The plane goes below my vantage point, and then all I see was the explosion and the smoke and the flames going up in the air," he said.A team from the National Transportation Safety Board is expected to arrive Thursday, McLaughlin said.Timmerman Airport is a smaller, general and private aviation airfield in the northwest part of the city. General Mitchell International Airport is Milwaukee's main airport.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
KLM (Dutch Airline) and Delft University of Technology have released concept designs for an aircraft with a " blended wing body ... 5:16 PM
KLM (Dutch Airline) and Delft University of Technology have released concept designs for an aircraft with a "blended wing body", which could transport passengers non stop from Europe to Australia about 14000 Kilometers or approx 8700 MILES
AHEAD : Advanced Hybrid Engine Aircraft Development
This aircraft would carry 300 passengers over a range of 14,000 kilometres – approximately the distance from Amsterdam (Netherlands) to Perth (Australia).
To improve aircraft efficiency and allow for longer flights, KLM's engineering and maintenance department worked with engineers and designers at Delft University of Technology (TU Delft). The result is a design that features two sets of wings – a small pair by the nose and a large set at the rear – that blend into the body.
These elements are formed as a single curving shape, rather than attaching the wings as appendages to either side of the plane's fuselage like in current aircraft designs.
Thursday, July 23, 2015
Here is the list of top 11 airplanes with weird modifications Winged Chinkook RC-12 Guardrail NASA TF-8A SuperCritical Kawasak... 12:02 PM
Here is the list of top 11 airplanes with weird modifications
- Winged Chinkook
- RC-12 Guardrail
- NASA TF-8A SuperCritical
- Kawasaki EC-1
- Gloster Meteor F8
- F-5E Shaped Sonic Boom
- Convair NC-131-H
- C130K Snoopy
- Boeing 747 Dreamlifter
- Avro Lincoln G-37-1
- Aero Spacelines Pregnant Guppy